Manchester City are set to make a splash in the transfer market and defence is the area in the spotlight.
City struggled defensively in the absence of injured star Aymeric Laporte following Vincent Kompany’s exit, while there are doubts over John Stones’ future in Manchester.
Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly and Bournemouth defender Nathan Ake are reportedly high on Pep Guardiola’s wish list as he attempts to strengthen his squad after watching Liverpool coast to the Premier League title.
TOP STORY – CITY NOTIFY NAPOLI OF KOULIBALY INTENT
Manchester City have informed Napoli they are ready to make an offer for star defender Kalidou Koulibaly, according to Sky Sport Italia.
Pep Guardiola has set his sights on Koulibaly, who has also been linked to the likes of Liverpool, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain.
City are willing to bid €65million (£58m) but Napoli are still holding out for €100m (£90m).
– Staying in Manchester and Sky Sports says City are in talks with Bournemouth over the signing of another defender – Nathan Ake. The Guardian claims City are poised to beat neighbours United and Chelsea to the Netherlands international.
– Sky Germany reports Bayer Leverkusen star Kai Havertz has agreed terms with Chelsea as he moves closer to arriving at Stamford Bridge. Havertz has been linked to Madrid, United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Barcelona but he appears set to join Chelsea. Win Sports TV journalist Pipe Sierra, meanwhile, claims Chelsea and Leverkusen have agreed an €85m (£77m) fee plus €15m (£13.5m) in bonuses.
– Juventus are eyeing former Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino as a possible replacement for head coach Maurizio Sarri, according to La Stampa.
Bournemouth’s Nathan Aké expected to join Manchester City in £35m transfer @mrewanmurray https://t.co/9cAXWQ3g3l
— Guardian sport (@guardian_sport) July 20, 2020
– The Daily Mail says Southampton are set to sign Real Valladolid defender Mohammed Salisu. The 21-year-old has reportedly attracted interest from United and Atletico Madrid.
– Theo Hernandez has no plans to leave Milan amid interest from Ligue 1 champions PSG, reports Calciomercato. Hernandez is enjoying a fine season with a resurgent Rossoneri team under Stefano Pioli.
– Gianluca Di Marzio claims there is a €60m agreement between Napoli and Lille for Victor Osimhen but the Serie A outfit still has to resolve matters with the forward’s new agent.
Published 21 Jul 2020, 11:44 IST